- 1/2 a Red onion, sliced
- 2 Large Carrots, sliced
- 1 Cup White vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 Cup Water
- 3 Fresh chives
- 2 Cloves Garlic, smashed
- 1 Tablespoon Organic cane sugar
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm tofu, drained and pressed*
- 3/4 Cup Almond milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 Cup All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Panko bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Cup Organic Ketchup
- 2 teaspoon Chili sauce, I used Asian Chili Garlic sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Agave syrup
- Jasmine rice
- Chives for topping
- First, make the pickled veggies. Add the sliced red onions and carrots to a large heat safe bowl.
- Add the vinegar, water, chives, garlic, sugar and salt to a small sauce pan. Heat the sauce pan on medium high, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for a minute until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Remove from heat and pour over the onions and carrots. Make sure the onions and carrots are submerged in the liquid and set aside. Let pickle while you make the rest.
- Now, make the tofu. After the tofu has been pressed, slice the block of tofu into about 1/4-1/2 inch slices.
- Now, take three medium sized bowls. Add the non-dairy milk and Dijon to one bowl, whisk to combine. Add the flour and salt to the second bowl, stir to combine. Add the panko to the third bowl.
- Put one slice of tofu into the flour, coat completely, then into the milk coat completely, then back in the flour, then back into the milk, then into the panko. Make sure the tofu is totally coated in panko. Repeat with all the tofu. Placing on a plate as you go.
- Now, heat about 1/2 an inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium high. Heat to about 350 degrees(F). There should be tiny bubbles forming in the oil.
- Fry a few pieces of tofu at a time for 2-4 minutes per side, or until they are super brown and crispy. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel, sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Repeat until all the tofu is done.
- Now make the sauce, whisk the ketchup, chili sauce, soy sauce and agave in a small bowl.
- Serve with rice, tofu and pickled veggies on top, then drizzle with the sauce. Top with chives.
If you prefer not to fry the tofu, you can bake it. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Place the tofu on the baking sheet and spray the tops of the tofu with more non-stick spray. Bake at 400 degrees (F). For about 15 minutes, flip and bake another 10-15 minutes or until the tofu is brown and crispy.