Mediterranean Inspired Chickpea Salad Sandwich – A Mediterranean vegan chickpea salad sandwich loaded with olives, capers, onions, tahini, herbs and spice. Easy to make and perfect for weekly meal prep.
- 1/4 small red onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Juice of two lemons
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cans chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup olives roughly chopped
- 2 tsp capers minced
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bread for serving
- In a small bowl add red onion, minced garlic and a pinch of salt then squeeze the juice of one lemon over top. Stir well and allow to sit.
- Take your rinsed and drained chickpeas and add them to a medium sized mixing bowl and with a fork or potato masher, mash chickpeas very well until your mixture is chunky.
- Add olives, capers, tomatoes, herbs, spices, and onion garlic mixture to the bowl with chickpeas.
- In the same small bowl used for the onion and garlic mixture, use to mix tahini and water. Whisk together until mixture becomes creamy then pour this into the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Sprinkle the top of the bowl with another pinch of salt, add in the remaining lemon juice and fold mixture together to fully combine.
- Take mixture and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving. Make sure to give another good mix and adjust seasoning before serving between two slices of bread.
You can replace the dry herbs with fresh herbs if you have them on hand, mince well and stir into the mixture.
Store mixture in a sealed Tupperware container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Servings may vary depending on size of bread. Serve a generous scoop of the chickpea salad between two slices of bread and add additional veggies and condiments if desired.