Creamy ramen bowl with crispy tofu
~ 8 caps of shiitake mushrooms
~ 2oz* dried kombu, clean with a slightly damp towel
✔️In a pot with 8-10 cups of water, place both ingredients in & turn on the heat. Right before it comes to a hard boil (a crucial step to prevent the stock from turning slimy), turn off heat & drain stock to a bowl, set aside. Save leftover in a jar, if needed.
- 6-8 stalks chopped scallions, white & green parts separated
- 1.5 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons ground sesame seeds (used a small pestle & mortar)
- 1 tablespoon *hot bean sauce/paste ‘doubanjiang’
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 4 cups of ginger miso broth
- 4 cups kombu stock
- 1-2 cups of unsweetened plant based milk (used cashew)
- toasted sesame oil
✔️In a heated pan with 3 tablespoons sesame oil, sauté white part of scallions, garlic & ginger until fragrant. Add miso broth, kombu stock, miso paste, hot bean sauce, ground sesame seeds & let simmer for 5-10 mins. Blend mixture (optional). Season accordingly with miso/bean sauce. Then add in milk, stir until well combined & turn the heat off.
~ Noodles of your choice – cooked based on package instructions
~ 1 pack firm tofu, drained & cut into cubes. Then, dip tofu cubes in cornstarch & fried, season with salt
~ sautéd mushrooms from kombu stock & chopped scallions (green part) & sesame seeds. Serve warm, enjoy!