Pumpkin soup & crispy croutons
- 1 small-medium size pumpkin (around 800g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (omit if you don’t like spice)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 2 sourdough bread slices, chopped into 3cm cubes
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 3 tbsp coconut milk, full fat
Preheat oven to 180C/360F. Place pumpkin on a baking tray&bake in the the oven for 30 mins, until a knife pierces through the skin. Remove and allow to cool for 10 mins.
Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat with the oil. Cook onion for 5 minutes, until soft. Add ginger&garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
Scoop out the flesh from the pumpkin and add to pan. Add in chilli powder, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper and stir well.
Pour in veg stock and put the lid on, reducing to a gentle simmer for 15 mins.
Prepare croutons by adding olive oil to a skillet or frying pan over a medium heat. Add in sourdough cubes and oregano and stir often, until golden and crispy. Blend soup using a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth. Serve with crispy croutons, toasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of coconut milk.
Source this recipe here