Fluffy Vegan Vanilla Sponge Cake
- 400g white bakers flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 250 grams brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 200g vegan butter
- 150mL aquafaba (water from a can of chickpeas)
- 50grams rice malt syrup
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 200mL soy milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (360F), or 160 decrees C fan forced.
- Grease 2 x 7 1/2 inch can pans, and line with baking paper. Set aside.
- Sift flour and baking soda into a medium sized bowl, and salt and mix well. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, add the aquafaba and beat until light and fluffy (using electric beaters this will take around 4 minutes). Set aside.
- Grab large mixing bowl, and add vegan butter, vanilla and sugar, and use electric beaters to whip until creamed.
- Next, add the whipped aquafaba to the butter mixture and beat for an extra 1-2 minutes, or until well combined. Finally, add the dry ingredients and very gently fold through the wet ingredients, only until just combined.
- Pour batter evenly between the two greased cake tins, then bake for 25-30mins (I did 28mins), or until the cake is cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Allow cakes to cool for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. Top with coconut whipped cream and berries.