Chocolate Cherry Zucchini Cake
- 350 gr (12.5 oz) zucchini
- 100 gr (3.5 oz) whole cane sugar
- 250 gr (9 oz) spelt flour
- 1 packet of baking soda
- 3 Tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or the pulp of 1 vanilla pod)
- 100 ml (3.5 oz) neutral oil (i.e. canola oil)
- 100 gr (3.5 oz) dark chocolate (and some more for the glaze)
- 100 gr (3.5 oz) fresh cherries (and some more for decoration)
- 100 ml (3.5 oz) sparkling water
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Finely grate the zucchini, put them into a kitchen towel or paper towel and drain as much fluid as possible.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and melt them.
- Pit the cherries and cut them into small pieces.
- Put flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa and vanilla into a bowl and mix well.
- Then add oil, sparkling water and cider vinegar and stir into a smooth dough.
- Slowly fold in chocolate and cherries.
- Grease a loaf pan and put dough inside.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes – check with stick if well done.
- Melt some chocolate for the glaze and pour over the cooled off cake. Place the cherries on top of the molten chocolate.